A healthy lifestyle means doing things that make you feel good and happy by lowering the risk of illnesses. This includes routine checkups, prioritize mental health, focusing on real foods, good rest and physical activity.
How often should I get routine checkups?
Early detection gives the opportunity to find potential health issues before they become a problem. For this reason it is recommended to get checkups for a longer and healthier life. The frequency may depend on the risk factors, the age, and current health status.
Generally, once every 2 years you should get a routine checkup, but if you are over 50 years shall be once a year. If you have a chronic disease, it is important to frequent your doctor and get checkups with more recurrence.
Why is mental health important for a healthy lifestyle? What relationship do they have?
Mental health has a direct impact on your physical health, several aspects of a healthy lifestyle can improve mental health, including changes in diet and physical activity.
Eating a healthy diet, maintaining a normal sleep schedule, exercising and getting special support, improves mental health by reducing anxiety, stress, depression, negative mood, and on and on.
Do I need to focus on real foods? What about a balance?
Real foods are single-ingredient foods rich in vitamins and minerals, lack chemical additives and are mostly unprocessed.
- -Are high in fiber
- -Help you eat more slowly
- -Don’t contain artificial trans fats
- -Are nutritious
- -Are packed with protein
- -Don’t contain refined sugars
Real food makes you feel good, helps you reach your goals, be sustainable for you and be tasty. When it comes to your health, balance is the key to success, knowing what healthy benefits you are having and balancing it with your favorite cookie occasionally.
How do I improve my sleep?
Sleeping well directly affects your mental and physical health. A poor sleep has immediate negative effects on your hormones, exercise performance, and brain function.
- -Stick to a sleep schedule
- -Minimize irregular or long daytime naps
- -Remove electronic devices from your bedroom
- -Include physical activity in your daily routine
- -Try not to eat late in the evening
- -Don’t consume caffeine late in the day
Why is physical activity so important? How much exercise should I do?
Physical activity has significant health benefits in your body, heart and mind, due to this it improves overall well-being by staying active. Staying active can also:
- -Minimize symptoms of depression and anxiety.
- -Help maintain a healthy weight.
- -Reduce the risk of diabetes type 2, cancer, and heart disease.
- -Improve healthy growth and development in young people.
- -Strength respiratory health.
- -Enhance thinking, learning, and judgment skills.
- Brennan, D. (2021, March 30). How Does Mental Health Affect Physical Health. WebMD. https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/how-does-mental-health-affect-physical-health#:%7E:text=A%20study%20found%20that%20positive,linked%20to%20many%20chronic%20illnesses.
- DHEC. (n.d.). How Often Should My Child Get a Routine Checkup? | SCDHEC. Department of Health and Environmental Control. https://scdhec.gov/health/child-teen-health/early-childhood-health/how-often-should-my-child-get-routine-checkup
- Eguiluz, A. (2021, May 10). 4 Surprising Ways Mental Health Impacts Physical Health. Northeast Georgia Health System. https://www.nghs.com/2021/05/07/4-surprising-ways-mental-health-impacts-physical-health/
- Hospital, S. (2019, October 21). 5 Reasons Why You Need to go for a Regular Checkup. Swacon International Hospital. https://www.swaconhospital.com/blog/5-reasons-why-you-need-a-regular-checkup/
- Ligos, L. M. (2018, October 12). My Balanced Real Food Approach. The Sassy Dietitian. https://thesassydietitian.com/my-balanced-real-food-approach/
- Mayo Clinic. (2020, April 17). Sleep tips: 6 steps to better sleep. https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/in-depth/sleep/art-20048379?reDate=01112021
- Oberheu, A. M. (2020, June 8). How Your Mental Health Affects Your Physical Health. Point of Blue. https://blog.bcbsnc.com/2019/05/mental-health-affects-physical-health/
- Pomona Valley Health Centers. (2017, April 7). The Importance of Regular Check-Ups. https://mypvhc.com/importance-regular-check-ups/
- Raman, M. R. S. (2017, May 1). 11 Reasons Why Real Foods Help You Lose Weight. Healthline. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/real-foods-and-weight-loss#TOC_TITLE_HDR_2
- The Healthline Editorial Team. (2020, July 21). How Often Should You See Your Doctor for a Checkup? Healthline. https://www.healthline.com/health/how-often-should-you-get-routine-checkups-at-the-doctor#bottom-line