Colostrum is known for its high nutritional value. It provides essential vitamins, minerals, and antibodies to help improve overall health and boost immune function.
However, there is more to colostrum than immune function. Recent studies have determined its possible role in bone health. This makes it an ideal option for menopausal women since there is an increased risk of bone issues like osteoporosis.
In this article, we’ll review the importance of colostrum for bone health. In addition, we’ll go over other benefits of colostrum and other lifestyle changes to help improve bone health.
What is colostrum?
Colostrum is the milky fluid first released by mammals after giving birth. It is high in essential vitamins, minerals, and antibodies. These all help improve overall health and boost immune function.
Due to its high nutritional value, more a more studies are starting to determine the importance of supplementing with colostrum.
Since you only get colostrum from the first milk taken after giving birth, you can now find bovine colostrum. It is a powdered supplement to help you get all its benefits.
Nutrients in colostrum
Bovine colostrum is full of essential nutrients. It is high in carbs, fats, and proteins. All of which are necessary for the infant’s development.
Besides providing all macros, it is also high in essential vitamins and minerals such as vitamins A, C, E, magnesium, and vitamins from the B complex.
On top of that, colostrum also has key proteins that help modulate immune function, such as lactoferrin, growth factors, and antibodies.
How can colostrum boost bone health?
Osteoporosis is a threatening condition. Weak bones can significantly increase the risk of fracture, especially in the elderly population.
Women are more prone to osteoporosis than men. In fact, studies show that 1 in 3 women might get osteoporosis, while only 1 in 6 men can get this condition.
Dietary changes and supplements can help decrease the risk of bone disease.
One of those supplements seems to be colostrum.
Research shows that the proteins and hormones (growth hormones) found in colostrum can help reduce the risk of bone issues such as osteoporosis.
However, while the research regarding colostrum in bone health seems promising, most of the studies are done in animals. There are still more human studies needed to determine the benefits of colostrum in bone health.
Other benefits of colostrum
There is more to colostrum than bone health. Including a daily dose of colostrum can have positive effects on overall health.
Here are some of the benefits you might get from colostrum besides bone health.
- Improved immune function. Colostrum is high in antibodies, growth hormones, and lactoferrin. All of which have an essential role in immune function. Also, colostrum contains essential antioxidants that can help decrease inflammation, which helps boost the immune system.
- Improved gut health. According to studies, it seems that colostrum can decrease intestinal permeability, reducing the risk of leaky gut syndrome.
- Preventing and treating diarrhea. Evidence suggests that taking colostrum can significantly reduce diarrhea symptoms. In fact, in HIV patients, those taking colostrum had a reduction of more than 20% of their symptoms.
- Improved performance and recovery. Finally, it seems that colostrum can have a positive effect on performance. Due to its high growth hormone content, it can improve recovery and muscle growth. Two important factors athletes are constantly looking to improve.
Also Read: Health Benefits Of Bovine Colostrum
What else can you do to improve bone health?
Colostrum is only one way to help improve bone health. There are other lifestyle changes you can start making to improve bone health.
Here are some natural ways to help build healthy bones.
- Eat fruits and vegetables. Fruits and vegetables have essential vitamins and minerals that help support bone health. Make sure you are having at least 5-6 servings per day and as many different colored options as possible. For example, instead of only having greens, add red-colored vegetables or blue-colored fruits.
- Increase calcium intake. Calcium is an important nutrient for bone health. Sources of calcium include dairy, leafy greens, and legumes.
- Add more vitamin D. Vitamin D seems to have an essential role in regulating calcium intake. As a result, it is an important component in bone health. To boost your vitamin D content, make sure you are taking at least 10-15 minutes of daily sunlight, or add a vitamin D with K2 supplement.
- Don’t forget about exercise. Strength and weight training are some of the best exercises for healthy bones. Research shows that both exercises can help increase bone density.
- Add a protein source to every meal. According to studies, low protein consumption can lead to calcium loss which affects bone health. Add a protein source to every meal to help you achieve your total protein requirements. Foods like Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, chicken, fish, and meat are all great lean sources of protein worth including.
- Include foods high in magnesium and zinc. While calcium is the most important nutrient for bone health, it is not the only one. Magnesium and zinc also play a crucial role in bone health. Include flaxseeds, chia seeds, shrimp, spinach, and pumpkin seeds.
Colostrum supplements: which one to choose?
Since several colostrum supplements are available, it might be difficult to pick the best one.
However, we make it easier for you to choose the best one.
Golden Wellness by LAZU is one of the top colostrum supplements available on the market. It is made with high-quality colostrum, probiotics, and manuka honey.
Probiotics are essential for gut health. In fact, it seems that the gut modulates over 70% of the immune function.
Also, manuka honey has antimicrobial and antiviral properties.
Finally, Golden Wellness is a good source of zinc. One of the nutrients we mentioned earlier plays a crucial role in bone health.
The bottom line
Colostrum is made of essential vitamins and minerals, which can help promote good bone health. It also contains growth hormones that seem to have a positive effect on bone density, reducing the risk of bone issues like osteoporosis.
While there is still more research needed to determine the effect of colostrum on bone health, the results seem promising.
So, if you are looking to improve bone health and your immune function, taking a daily dose of Golden Wellness might help.
Leave A Comment