Colostrum is the milky fluid mammals excrete after giving birth. It can help improve immunity, bone health, and gut health. There seem to be several benefits to colostrum. Discover Colostrum’s Immunological Impact on the Immune System.
With so many benefits, no wonder the colostrum industry is constantly growing. This powerhouse of a supplement can benefit both children and adults.
In this article, we’ll explore the benefits of colostrum. But more specifically, on immune health. We’ll review how drinking colostrum can help fight disease and potentially strengthen your immune system.
Colostrum is a fluid released by mammals after giving birth. It is an essential source of nutrients and antibodies for infants. While infants can benefit from colostrum when growing up, research shows that adults can also benefit from it.
As a result, bovine colostrum supplements started to rise.
Nowadays, you can get powdered bovine colostrum to help improve overall health and immune function.
So, what exactly can you find in colostrum?
Since it is infants’ first meal, colostrum is high in protein, fats, and carbs. On top of that, it is high in nutrients like vitamins A, C, E, magnesium, and other vitamins from the B complex.
Besides being high in essential vitamins and minerals, colostrum has other essential proteins that can bring specific health benefits.
In colostrum, you can find proteins like lactoferrin, growth factors, and antibodies. All of which play an essential role in immune health.
Lactoferrin, growth factors, and antibodies are essential to immune health.
Lactoferrin is an essential protein that helps iron bind. According to research, lactoferrin helps reinforce immune function thanks to its high antioxidant and antimicrobial properties.
Growth factors, just like the name states, are hormones that stimulate growth. Research shows that some growth factors can have a positive effect on immune function. Bovine colostrum has two main growth hormones: IGF-1 and IGF-2.
Finally, antibodies are proteins that can help fight bacterial infections and boost the immune system. It seems that bovine colostrum is high in antibodies IgA, IgM, and IgG.
A study found that athletes who took a daily bovine colostrum supplement for 12 weeks increased their IgA antibodies by 79%.
Another study saw that athletes taking bovine colostrum had a reduction in upper respiratory illnesses.
While colostrum research in immune function is very promising, more research is still needed.
Boosting immune function is not the only benefit you might obtain from bovine colostrum. Here are some other benefits you can experience from taking a colostrum supplement.
- Improved gut health. Thanks to growth hormones and other essential nutrients, it seems that colostrum can positively affect gut health. According to studies, it can strengthen intestinal walls, preventing intestinal permeability or leaky gut syndrome.
- Prevent and treat diarrhea. Due to the lactoferrin and antibodies content, it seems that colostrum can help prevent diarrhea.
- Improved recovery and performance. Since colostrum is high in IGF-1 and IGF-2, these components seem to positively affect muscle recovery and growth. As a result, more and more athletes are taking colostrum to improve their performance.
Besides taking colostrum supplements to boost immune health, there are other changes you can make to ensure you have a strong immune system.
Here are some lifestyle changes you might want to consider if you want to have a strong immune function.
- Eat fruits and vegetables. Fruits and vegetables are a source of essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. They can help reduce inflammation and strengthen the immune system. Make sure you are eating at least 5-6 portions of fruits and vegetables every day.
- Don’t skip the protein. As seen, antibodies are made up of proteins. So, whenever you reduce your protein intake, not only does your muscle suffers, but also your immune system. Add a lean protein source to every meal, such as chicken, eggs, fish, Greek yogurt, or a protein shake.
- Reduce stress. Stress can decrease your immune system. Finding ways to cope with stress is going to be crucial to boost immune function. Try adding meditation, going on walks, or trying art therapy to help you reduce stress levels.
- Have a good night’s sleep. A poor night’s sleep can also reduce your immune function. Make sure you have a good bedtime routine to promote a good night’s sleep. Sleep in a dark room with a cold temperature, and mist some lavender-scented oil on your pillow for a restful night.
There are several colostrum supplements available on the market. So, it might be challenging to choose the best one.
Don’t worry. We’ve got you covered!
Golden Wellness from LAZU is the best colostrum supplement available. What makes it great? Not only is it made from high-quality bovine colostrum, but it also contains more than 15 probiotic strains to help improve your immune system.
After all, 70% of the immune function is modulated by your gut health.
On top of that, it is high in nutrients like copper, iron, selenium, zinc, vitamins B2, B6, D, and biotin.
Finally, another key ingredient in Golden Wellness is manuka honey. According to studies, it seems that manuka honey has antiviral and antimicrobial properties to help boost the immune system.
Colostrum is a drink high in essential vitamins, minerals, and important proteins that can help boost the immune system. In colostrum, you find different growth hormones, antibodies, and lactoferrin, all of which play a role in immune function.
It seems that taking a daily dose of bovine colostrum can help improve immune function, reducing the risk of catching a cold.
If you are looking for the best colostrum supplements, Golden Wellness by LAZU contains high-quality bovine colostrum, probiotics, and manuka honey. They all help strengthen the immune system.