There are several benefits to colostrum.
The most commonly known benefit of colostrum is an enhancement in the immune system. However, each day, we are finding new information on other benefits of colostrum.
Recent studies have found that colostrum can have a positive effect on gut health. It can help repair the intestinal walls reducing the risk of leaky gut syndrome.
On top of the prompting good gut health can help boost the immune system and reduce digestive issues such as bloating, gas, stomach cramps, and diarrhea.
In this article, we’ll go over the effects of colostrum on gut health. Additionally, we’ll talk about other lifestyle changes to help promote good gut health.
Colostrum is the milky fluid mammals release after giving birth. It has a yellow color, and it is high in essential vitamins, minerals, and antibodies.
So, how can you add colostrum into your everyday life?
Since you get colostrum from the first take after giving birth, obtaining it can be challenging. But, nowadays, you can get bovine colostrum powdered supplements to help you add your daily.
Colostrum supplements are high in carbs, fats, proteins, vitamins, minerals, en enzymes. Some nutrients you get are vitamins A, C, and E, several from the B complex, and magnesium.
Besides being a nutrient-dense food, you also get essential proteins like lactoferrin, antibodies, and growth factors. These can help improve the immune system, boost performance, and potentially aid gut health.
Also Read: The Health Benefits Of Bovine Colostrum
There seem to be several studies, both animal and human, that showcase the benefit of colostrum in gut health.
According to research, it seems that colostrum might promote intestinal growth cells, prevent permeability, and strengthen the gut wall. All of these benefits can help decrease leaky gut syndrome. This condition increases the gut’s permeability, allowing unwanted molecules, such as toxins and bacteria, to enter the body.
In fact, a 14-day study studied the effect of colostrum supplementation on 12 individuals with intestinal permeability. At the end of the study, those consuming 20 g of colostrum every day, reduced intestinal permeability by 80%.
In another study, people with digestive issues (colitis) significantly reduced their digestive problems after taking colostrum for four weeks.
So, it seems that colostrum can act as a glue in the intestinal walls to prevent any unwanted and harmful molecules from entering the body.
There is more to colostrum than improving gut health. Here are some other health benefits of adding a colostrum supplement.
- Prevention and treatment for diarrhea. Besides having a positive effect on colitis symptoms, colostrum supplements might decrease diarrhea symptoms. A study on HIV patients saw that diarrhea symptoms were significantly reduced when supplementing with colostrum.
- Improved immune function. Over 70% of the immune system is regulated by the gut. So, it seems that improving gut health can positively affect our body’s defense system. But, on top of that, the high content of antibodies, lactoferrin, and growth hormones can help reduce inflammation and boost the immune system.
- Reduced risk of bone disease. Growth hormones can also have a positive effect on bone health. It seems that colostrum might have a role in decreasing bone issues like osteoporosis.
- Improved performance. Finally, research shows that the protein and growth hormone content can help improve recovery and stimulate muscle growth.
Also Read : Colostrum: A Way To Improve Bone Health
While colostrum can help reduce digestive issues and leaky gut syndrome, there are other lifestyle changes you need to consider.
Here are some ways to help reduce leaky gut syndrome and improve overall gut health.
- Eat a diverse diet. Each fruit and vegetable has its unique set of nutrients. Eating the same thing every day won’t get you various nutrients. A healthy microbiome thrives on diversity. So, make sure you are adding at least three different colored fruits and vegetables throughout the day.
- Add fermented foods. Fermented foods are high in probiotics (healthy bacteria) which can colonize the gut. It seems that getting daily probiotics can help restore gut health. Foods like kimchi, sauerkraut, kombucha, and kefir are all great options. If you don’t like any of them, you can add a probiotic supplement.
- Eat foods high in fiber. Fiber acts as the food for the bacteria in the gut (prebiotics). Keeping the gut bacteria happy and well is essential for good gut health. High-fiber foods include fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and legumes.
- Limit alcohol intake. Drinking too much can impact the gut microbiome. It can also cause digestive issues such as bloating and heartburn. If you are going to drink, make sure you do it only once or twice a week (1-2 servings).
- Reduce stress. There is a strong connection between the gut and the brain (gut-brain connection). It seems that high-stress levels can negatively affect the gut. Try ways to help you cope with stress, such as meditation, yoga, or journaling.
Also Read: Gut Health With Colostrum
Also Read: Gut Health As A “Second Brain”
Golden Wellness: The best colostrum supplement
Thanks to the increased research regarding the benefits of bovine colostrum, each day, we see more and more supplements on the market.
But, not all will be as effective as they claim.
The top colostrum supplement on the market is Golden Wellness by LAZU. Not only does it have colostrum, which, as we’ve seen, can improve gut health. But, it also contains several probiotic strains to help strengthen the gut.
Additionally, it has manuka honey which has antiviral and antimicrobial properties, helping improve the immune system.
Colostrum is a dietary supplement with high nutrient value. It has essential vitamins, minerals, enzymes, antibodies, and hormones that can help bring several health benefits.
One of the biggest benefits is seen in gut health. Colostrum can act as the glue holding the cells in the intestines together, preventing toxins or bacteria from entering the body.
So, to improve gut health, check out Golden Wellness by LAZU.